Pay In Gold?

I was just catching up on the local news, and I don't know what to think about one article I just read. There is a debate today over a proposed bill in South Carolina that would allow shoppers to pay with gold and silver currency if a business accepted it. The lawmakers proposing the bill are trying to implement an alternative currency to keep the state afloat in such a crappy economy.

I say what a crock of bull! Gold may be at an all time high right now, but the price can fluctuate faster than the dollar.  Besides who walks around with a bunch of gold or silver in their pocket?  How would you know what business accepts what type of currencies?  I can just see someone walking into a store with a brick of gold, and the following conversation ensues.

Cashier- What the heck is that?  You can’t pay with that!  That’s not money!

Customer- Yeah, I can!  It’s like my custom coin, dude. Now give me my change!

Am I the only one who sees this proposed bill as a total waste of taxpayer’s dollars?  Is it a scare tactic to try to get people to invest in gold and silver?  I’m not trying to develop my own conspiracy theory, but I could totally see that being the case.

No comments: