Dinner, Diapers, and Swimming

Boy am I tired.  Today has been one long day that ended with a nice relaxing dip in the lake.  I’m thankful for that.  The little one has been in a horrible mood all day today, and she refused to take any naps.  We had a baby shower to attend this evening, so I knew she was going to be difficult.  That’s to say the least.  She was a little horror like she’s never been before.  She didn’t want to cooperate at all, and the only thing that calmed her down was getting to swim in the lake. 

The shower was a co-ed shower at the lake with grilled food and swimming so there was something for the whole family to do.  Most of the men and definitely the kids had no interest in sitting still while the Mom-to-be unwrapped a bunch of gifts full of diapers, Lorex portable baby monitors, and cute clothes, so the men took the kids down to the lake to swim while the women oohed and aahed over the cute baby gifts.

Once the gifts were opened I wandered down to the lake and took advantage of the water to cool myself off as well.  It was super hot today, and the rec building the shower was in had no ac.  There were ceiling fans, but it didn’t help much.  We were all pouring sweat in there.  I felt bad for the Mom-to-be.  I can’t imagine being 9 months pregnant in this heat!  I’m very thankful Ellie was born in October, and she arrived 5 weeks early.  I definitely want to try to plan our next baby so that I’ll at least be less miserable at 9 months in a cooler time of the year.

Anyway, I didn’t have a lot of money to spend on a gift, so I made one of my diaper cakes.  The shower theme was “Little Cowboy”, so I made a cake to match the theme.  The Grandma-to-be ended up using the cake as part of the decorations.  It’s not the biggest or fanciest cake I’ve made to date, but it’s definitely one of my favorites.  Sometimes I think it’s best to go with a simple design, so the little cowboy boot socks I found online were the only baby items I decided to place on the outside of the cake.

roperscake

It was a huge hit, and I had a ton of people asking about ordering one.  That would be absolutely awesome if I could make a bit of extra income selling a few diaper cakes.  I have quite a few ideas of cakes I’d love to make, but there are only so many friends and family members having babies right now!  That definitely made this not so great day a bit better, and combined with getting to swim it made the evening enjoyable.

No comments: