Helping, Teething, and Sleeping

As usual it’s been very busy around here this week.  Thursday we traveled to Mount Hope, Alabama to deliver the supplies we’ve collected over the last two weeks.  The supplies were much appreciated, and I’m so glad we were able to help some of the families who lost everything.  I have uploaded a video and some photos I took with my cell phone as we toured the area.  I will also be adding more photos as I get a chance to do so.  It’s hard to describe the scene we saw, but it is something I will never forget.

We stayed overnight at a family member’s house in Russellville to recuperate a bit before making the trip home.  Both Ben and I had been running on very little sleep for days as we worked almost around the clock to gather everything we could, sort, and load all the donations.  Okay, so Ben did most of the loading and unloading as most of the boxes were way too heavy for me to lift.  I felt bad because he had to do most of it by himself, but I’m thankful I have him to do the heavy lifting.  Sometimes I do secretly wish I could rub testosterone gels all over and magically make myself stronger, but I know that will never happen!

Combine being worn out with a cranky baby and a day of travel, and we were both in need good night’s rest by the end of the day.  Thankfully Ellie did great on the trip.  She decided to put the crankiness on the backburner, and she was in a great mood to meet our family in Alabama.  We decided to take her with us for this reason and because I really wanted to go but couldn’t leave her behind while breastfeeding. 

Once we returned home Friday evening she was back in full cranky mode again, and she’s been pretty ill the last few days.  She’s cutting another eye tooth, and I know the poor little thing is in massive pain.  All day today she kept begging for ice.  She’d see me with a glass of tea, and she’d point and say “ice”.  She’d go to the freezer, point at it, and ask for ice again (she knows the popsicles are in there, and she calls them ice, too).  I’ve hardly had a chance to get anything done because she’s been clinging to my side and fussing if I try to do anything that doesn’t involve holding her while she eats her ice.  I’ll be so glad when she’s done cutting teeth, but at the same time I don’t want to rush it.  Having all her teeth just means she’ll be that much bigger, and she’s already growing up too fast!

She’s sleeping soundly right now, though, and I’m hoping she’ll have a good night tonight.  Just in case she’s up every hour (like last night) I guess I should drag myself off the internet and get my housework done.  After taking the trip and dealing with Ellie I haven’t had the time or energy to clean up the mess that my household has become, and there’s a huge pile of laundry calling my name.  *Sigh*

No comments: