Looking On The Bright Side

Now that I’ve had a few days to process I’m not so down and out anymore over the work situation we’re currently in.  I keep telling myself everything will be ok, and we need to enjoy the extra time we have together as a family right now.  Hubby went for a job interview yesterday, and everything seems to have went very well.  I helped him revamp his resume so that he would have a fresh copy to take with him.  The interview was with the office assistant since the boss was working out of town and due back in today, but Hubby said it seemed to go pretty well.  When they were done the assistant faxed Hubby’s resume straight to the boss instead of waiting for him to come back into town today.  I want to think that’s another good sign, but we’ll just have to wait and see. She told him he would be notified by the end of the week whether or not he’ll get the job.

Like I posted on my personal blog, there are downsides and upsides to the job.  Hubby will be working out of town most of the time, but the money is great.  It’s just what we need to not only get out of debt but build some savings as well.

I was going to go sell some stuff at the flea market in the morning to try to make a little extra cash to help hold us over until he does get a job.  This time of the year you find a lot of people selling things left over from summer like patio furniture, spa covers, summer clothing, and such. I had a ton of baby clothes that were from the fall and winter last year that I wanted to sell, but I was able to move them all at my yard sale Saturday. That left me without a lot of stuff to sell tomorrow until I go through the closets again, and I just haven't had time to do so yet.

I know we’re going to be ok even if we have to float a few things here and there, so I’m not too worried about making a small amount of extra cash at the flea market.  I was able to find a couple short term telecommuting writing jobs on Craigslist (it’s not just for selling stuff!), and those will help pay the necessities until we’re on our feet again. 

Now my only concern is over the baby’s one year birthday party.  It would break my heart to not be able to give her a party for her first birthday, but I know if we can’t afford it I’ll have to cancel the party.  Scratch that.  She’s getting a party no matter what.  Our financial situation at the end of the month will determine whether it will be a small at home party with just the three of us and grandparents or whether we’ll be able to afford to give her a bigger party.  I will not skip the first birthday as I don’t have to spend a fortune for it to be an enjoyable one.  I’ve seen posts online about parents taking their children on first birthday “vacations” with tons of friends and family members and a week full itinerary of things to do.  Seriously?  That’s just stupid!  It’s their first birthday!  Yes it’s a special occasion, but I don’t think it’s that special!

No comments: