Researching Cloth Diapers

I've been doing research the last few days on cloth diapers, and I've come to the same conclusion about all of them. It's not going to be easy to pick one specific type of cloth diaper that we want to use because there isn't one specific type that everyone absolutely loves. Different people have different love/hate relationships with different types, and in the end we'll just have to try a bunch of different ones until we settle on the one type we like the most.

Yesterday my mom picked up a couple packs of pre-folds for me, and I'm going to start stockpiling stuff like that now. I've got a big plastic container for storage, and I'm going to purchase a few diapers here and there. My mom will be bringing me tons of stuff now since a friend of her's works for a franchise store that sells all their merchandise at a huge discount to employees every 90 days. Her friend is already bringing home bags of stuff for baby including lots of blue and pink clothes when it will be months before we know the sex.

A friend suggested that we definitely get a few AIO's to use overnight so we don't have to wake the baby up to change it's diaper. I don't see that being an issue in the beginning since we'll be up every few hours for feedings anyway, but I'm going to take her advice when we get to the sleeping through the night stage. Of course that will be a loooong way off.

Last night I placed my first order for diapers to add to my stockpile. I decided to start with a kit. I decided to start with the "Try It" kit from Cotton Babies that comes with 6 Indian or Chinese prefold diapers, 2 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers, and a Snappi. It will be months before my own baby will be here to try these own, but our best friend's baby is due any minute now. I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to try these out on their little one, especially if he or she is spending some time with us while Mommy and Daddy go shopping.

Of course, I'm definitely open to suggestions from any of you moms out there using cloth diapers. I was a cloth diapered child, and I want to carry on the tradition while saving money and helping the environment.

No comments: