Giving Exercise Another Try

Yesterday a friend of mine called me begging me to get a gym membership with her. She's wanting to lose weight, and she wants to join a gym, but she doesn't want to join alone. In a way I can understand that...girls travel in packs and all that...but why should I have to join a gym and spend my hard earned cash just because she wants to join one? After listening to every excuse in the book I told her no.

Hubby and I both do want to lose weight. We've been talking about definitely working on getting ourselves into a more healthy state, but I honestly have to admit if I joined a gym it'd be a waste of cash. I'd never go.

I don't do well with diet pills. Half the time I don't even know if they really work, and some of them scare me. There are also all those new ones on the market like Ephedrasil Hardcore that are supposed to also give you some kind of natural high. No thanks. If I want a natural high I'll ride the bike for an adrenaline rush.

I do need to start working out more often though. For awhile I was doing pretty well. I had started using my Yoga DVD, and I was going to my aunt's house a couple times a week to use the mini gym she's setup in her basement. She's got a bike, treadmill, ad machine, stuff like that. I've slacked off, though, and I've found myself spending more time sitting on my ass than anything.

I've started a new routine with Hubby. We're walking everyday now, weather permitting. We don't really live in a neighborhood where we can walk on the road, but it's too far and costs too much to drive to the park everyday. Because of that I'm taking advantage of my Grandparent's extremely long driveway. Including the walk to their house and back to ours, 5 laps up and down their driveway equals a mile.

I think the best part is it doesn't feel the same as walking around the track at the local park. I don't feel like I'm actually doing some kind of workout. I guess a lot has to do with the fact that I'm in my natural surroundings. I'm even thinking about pulling my old Rollerblades out to see if they're still in working condition. I know they're in my Grandparent's basement somewhere, and I think that would be a great workout rollerblading up and down their driveway.

We're currently completing a mile a day, but I think by the end of next week I'm going to try to bump it up to 2 miles. If Hubby doesn't want to walk that much with me each day at least I've got a safe place to walk. I might even try to start taking the dog up there for a walk in the mornings, but I definitely can't do a full mile. Being a bulldog he makes the walk to their house, then he's ready to pass out on the porch for a quick nap.

Now I just need to motivate myself to do some crunches or something that will tone my stomach up. That's really my worst feature, and I really need to do something about it.

No comments: