Could Text Messaging Save Your Life?

Wow the texting conversation with my best friend took a very interesting turn. I was telling her about the medical id bracelet I've thought about buying my sister in law. She's a diabetic, and there have been quite a few times she had a medical emergency, but the paramedics didn't check her wallet to see her diabetic medical card thing she carries. It doesn't really help if they can't see it.

We started talking about technology and the way technology today has advanced medical services. Years ago I could have ordered a bracelet with a symbol on it that says that person is a diabetic, but today I can order bracelets that can be engraved with all the person's information. Then there are the alert bracelets that contact 911 for you.

My friend just out of the blue said "Wouldn't it be cool if you could text message 911?"

It made sense to me. Sometimes you could find yourself in a situation where actually talking on the phone could put you in danger, but sending a text message could save your life. She asked if I knew if you could do that, so of course I googled it.

I was amazed to see how many cities are trying to incorporate texting into their emergency systems. A few are even trying to incorporate picture messaging.

Imagine the possibilities. Say you can see a robbery in progress at a nearby location. How easy would it be to catch the robbers on camera?

Better yet, I've heard of some young women snapping photos of their dates when going on a date with someone new for the first time. They then send the photo to their friends, and the friends can use the photo if something goes wrong. Imagine taking a picture of a potential raper, and being able to send it to 911 before the actual raping could occur!

I think it's a great idea, and I would love to see text and picture messaging incorporated into all 911 emergency systems. It could save someone's life...just look at how text messaging helped students get word out during the Virginia Tech shootings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really interesting post! I totally agree! I thought you might be interested in learning about a new type of medical alert bracelet and service that will be launching next month called WELLalarm. (www.wellalarm.com) As one of the 125 million Americans living with a chronic illness today. I founded WELLalarm in direct response to the problems of self-identification and lack of utilization of technology, including texting, for emergency purposes that you so aptly point out here! We will be launching next month, but you can view some information about our products and services on the contest page currently hosted on our website. Seriously, check it out! I think you will find it very interesting! Best, Stephanie Cion, CEO WELLalarm