Locks Of Love Contest

I am a big supporter of Locks of Love, and I really want to try to get other people to participate this year, so I'm going to run a blog contest with a twist. Unfortunately this contest will be a little biased towards women unless you are a man with long hair, or you have children, but I really feel compelled to do this.

What is Locks of Love?
Almost everyone these days has heard of Locks of Love, but not everyone knows what it is. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that makes hair pieces for kids under the age of 18 who have long term hair loss due to a medical problem. Most of the children who are helped have Alopecia, a condition that causes permanent hair loss. There's no treatment or cure for the disease.

Who can help?
Anyone with hair long enough to cut 10" from can help. They need hair from men, women, & children in all ages, races, and colors.

How do I donate?
The donation process is simple. Basically you just get your hair cut, then mail it in. For more information, read the donation page on the Locks of Love website. If you can't donate your hair the next time you go for a cut, you can also give a monetary donation or purchase something through ShopForGiving. You can also become a volunteer. For more information, see the Locks of Love "Other Ways To Help" page. If you decide to donate your hair, be sure to tell your hair stylist that you are donating your hair to Locks of Love. A lot of stylists will do the cut for free. I know Great Clips does, and I use them every time I donate my hair.

The Contest:
I would like you to write a small entry in your blog about Locks of Love, what they do, and how you can participate. Include a link back to this post in your post. Then return here and leave a comment on this post to be entered into the contest.

As an added bonus, I am setting up a Locks of Love Petition. The petition will basically be a pledge form saying that you promise to do something for locks of love this year, whether it be donating your hair, volunteering, giving a monetary donation, or just pledging to tell others about the program. Anyone who signs the petition will receive 1 contest entry. This means if you write a blog post and sign the petition, you will receive 2 entries.

Everyone who write a blog entry will also receive a link back in my special "Locks of Love Contest" link section that I will add to my sidebar.

The Prize:
The prize will increase with the number of participants. No prize will be given unless I receive at least 10 participants.

Up to 25 participants- $10 Amazon gift certificate
26-50 participants- $20 Amazon gift certificate
Over 50 participants- $30 Amazon gift certificate

*I will give the winner the option of choosing a gift certificate from another online store if they would like that instead, but the amounts will stay the same.

**Locks of Love is not sponsoring this blog, nor is anyone paying me to give away the gift certificates. I am choosing to use my own hard earned cash for the prizes, so I hope that is an incentive to convince people to donate at least the time to write a post about the charity.

3 comments:

Ann crum said...

This is indeed a very worthy cause. I've blogged about it but you don't need to enter me in the contest. I just wanted to share it with others and maybe spread the word a bit. You can read what I wrote here.

Celestia said...

Thank you for blogging out it!

Anonymous said...

I signed the petition and did a post. Now I am off to shop! Read it here.