Food, Car Seats, & Tornadoes

Tonight is definitely one of those nights I wish would end soon.  I’m tired of all this horrible weather we’re having, and my phone is ringing off the hook with family members calling to check on the little one since we’ve had tornado warnings out.  Luckily nothing has touched down yet, so we’re all in one piece.

Before this weather started I dropped Ellie off with my aunt, and Hubby and I headed out to do some shopping.  As much as I hate going to Walmart unless I absolutely have to tonight was one of those have to nights.  Ellie needs a new car seat as she’s on the cusp of outgrowing hers, and I just couldn’t afford to spend more than $65 on a car seat right now.  The one I had picked out for her was the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1, but I can’t drop $150 on a car seat right now when we’re already struggling to pay the bills.  I liked that it reclined, and I wanted to keep Ellie rear facing as long as possible, but I had to settle for what we could afford.

Instead I picked up the Evenflo Chase booster car seat because it fell in our price range with an on sale price of $49, and because it has great ratings.  It was also the best choice in our price range that we found in store as all the others in our price range can only be used from 20-40lbs, but this one converts to a belt positioning booster that can be used up to 100lbs.  I’m not at all happy with the extra strap that dangles in the front from the belt adjuster, but I may just have to deal with that.  My only concern is that Ellie will figure out how to push the button on the belt adjuster and let it out rendering the 5 point harness practically useless in a wreck.  If I find something I like better in our price range I may end up returning this one, but we’ll just have to see.  We’ll find out how much she weighs on Thursday at her next appointment, but I have a feeling she’s still about a pound shy of moving out of the other car seat.  I don’t want to move her into the new one until I absolutely have to.

After we picked up the car seat we did a bit of grocery shopping for a few things that we just absolutely need to get by this week.  Our cupboards are bare, so I couldn’t hold off on grocery shopping any longer.  We were about to walk out of the store when I got the call from my Grandma that the first tornado warning for our area was issued, and the warning was putting the possible tornado about a 1/2 mile from our house.  She told us to stay put and not to worry about Ellie because everyone was at their house in the basement. 

Of course I freaked out a bit at the thought of being separated from my baby during a tornado warning especially when she was in the potential path of it and I wasn’t, but there wasn’t really much I could do.  Hubby took our purchases to the car, and I walked around the health section looking at diet pills as we waited for the warning to pass. Fifteen minutes later the warning was lifted, and we headed home to grab the baby. We've been stuck in this nasty weather ever since, and I'll be so glad when it's gone. We're under a tornado watch until 3am, so I doubt I'll be sleeping at all tonight.

No comments: