My Full Time Job

When I was little and you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I’d always say “a mommy and a marine biologist”.  I always listed mommy first.  As I got older the type of jobs I was interested in changed a bit, but I knew more than anything I wanted to have the hardest job of all. I wanted to be a mom, and I wanted to stay at home with my kids if at all possible.

I think a lot of that comes from the fact that my mom was a stay at home mom.  She was always there for us 24/7, and she didn’t go back to work until I was well into my teenage years.  We never had to worry about a babysitter, daycare, riding the bus, or any of that.  I didn’t take into consideration how much having her at home really meant to me until I was older. 

Now I’m so thankful that our financial situation allows me to stay at home with my little girl.  I can give her everything she needs, and I’m not missing any of those special little first times.  I don’t have to worry about how she’s going to get to school, and I even have the option to home school her like I would prefer.  She’s only going to be little once, and those moments are precious gifts that I don’t want to miss. 

Sure it’s hectic at times, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.  Seeing my little girl playing and giggling this morning as I made faces at her, cooed with her, and did raspberries on her tummy reassured me that this moments alone with her are more precious than anything else in this world.

No comments: