Mineral Makeup Not Working For You?

For the last two months I've been complaining to my sister in law almost daily about my mineral makeup. I've tried about 10 different types, and no matter how cheap or expensive the product is, I haven't been able to find one that gives me the total full coverage that I need during my over the top monthly hormonal breakouts.

I ordered a bunch of samples from various retailers, and I determined my 3 faves are also some of the cheapest ones I've found. Of course the first one would be the Mineral Starter Kit from E.L.F. I loved this kit because the colors were absolutely perfect for my skin tone, and the price is very doable for any girl on a budget. Unfortunately my very acne prone face wasn't getting the coverage it needed even after I applied many many coats of makeup.

Then I moved on to Affordable Mineral Makeup products because so many of my friends have raved about them. I've used many of the mineral eye shadows offered by Affordable Mineral Makeup, and I absolutely love those. The mineral foundations and concealers are great for my light coverage days, but they had no chance against massive breakout weeks. I decided to avoid anymore foundations and concealers from this company, but I absolutely am in love with their eye shadows.

That's when I decided to order some samples from LA Minerals. Samples are $1-2, so it's a great way to try new products or shades. I'm glad I ordered samples first because even though I absolutely LOVE the Hollywood Face Base that is made especially for medium to heavy coverage, the color I ordered, Fairest Neutral, made even my extremely pale skin look ghostly. The coverage was almost too thick on occasion, but it provided the best coverage when I really needed something heavy. Then came one of my really bad breakouts and even this base and the Multi-Tasking Bisque concealer wouldn't cover the bad stuff.

Lately I've been wondering exactly why it's so hard for me to find a mineral foundation and concealer that will get the job done. Even Bare Minerals couldn't hide my zits. Then I started to wonder if I was doing something wrong, but come on, I know how to apply mineral makeup. I may not be very girlie, but I do at least have the makeup thing down. I have absolutely no problem applying makeup on other women, but I seem to have a problem with my own face.

Then tonight rolled around. Hubby ran into my Dad, and he invited us to a late dinner. I admit I've been asleep all evening, so I woke up finding myself with about 15 minutes to get dressed before making a 30 minute drive to the restaurant. I threw on some clothes, washed my face, brushed my teeth and set out to put on a little bit of makeup to at least try to semi-hide the 15 or so pimples that have erupted this week. We're not talking little red dots here and there either. We're talking massive hormonal explosion all over the place.

I reached for my concealer brush and found it missing. It has a habit of rolling off the counter into the crevice between the wall and cabinet, and I just didn't have the time to dig it out and clean it right now. Instead I picked up a clean angled horse hair eye shadow brush and started dabbing concealer with it in a circular motion. I admit it's a cheap brush I picked up at Big Lots for about .50, and I've never used it for anything. To my surprise I covered all of my pimples perfectly with 1 application. I should also mention I was using the E.L.F. fair concealer that normally gives me the lightest coverage.

I then decided if changing up from a concealer brush to an eye shadow brush did the trick for my concealer, maybe I should ditch my kabuki brush tonight for something smaller. I chose a blush/bronzer brush from E.L.F. that cost me exactly $1, and started gently swiping smaller than normal amounts of E.L.F. Fair Foundation on my skin, which also provides the lightest coverage of all my foundations. It worked, and for the first time ever I didn't watch my concealer disappear as I applied my foundation. I was also able to apply a very small amount of foundation and a hint of blush with a light brush of LA Minerals Mineral Veil over the top. I was totally stoked, and Hubby even asked me if I'd bought a new makeup because my skin looked so great!

We hopped on the bike, and I was also surprised to see that my makeup was still intact when we arrived at the restaurant even with such light coverage applied. Normally even my mineral makeup rubs off on the inside of my helmet and I have to try my best to reapply some pimple coverage before heading inside. Not tonight! Everything was even still perfect when we arrive back home 2 hours later. In the last couple of hours I've washed my face twice and reapplied all the different types of mineral makeup I've purchased, and ALL of them have worked.

The moral of the story? If you're getting frustrated because no mineral makeup seems to work for you, take a second look at the brushes you're using. Changing up your brushes could be all you need to make a big difference.

No comments: