Make Your Own Laundry Rinse And More

While searching through recipes I just found a Laundry Rinse recipe that I think I'm going to go ahead and try as well. This will give me the option to add my essential oils to give my laundry that wonderful smell without all the nasty chemicals while still allowing me to use a powder detergent.

Here's the recipe from Modern Cottage.

Laundry Rinse (instead of fabric softener which is so bad for you and the environment, you don’t even want to know)

1. 1 gal white vinegar
2. 25-30 drops essential oil - optional (This was another internet purchase. We’re currently using “gardenia.” Mmmmm. Straight vinegar works just fine though.)

Use 1/4 c in the rinse cycle. I promise your clothes won’t smell like vinegar. The vinegar clears the last bit of soap remaining on all your clothes and reduces static.


I already use vinegar in 1 load every week to clean out my washer, so adding a few drops of essential oil to the bottle is easy.

I also recommend if anyone's going to try this you might want to go ahead and try another great vinegar use! I use vinegar to keep the bugs away! Mix 1 part vinegar and 1 part water in a spray bottle. Then just take a walk around the outside of your house spraying everything at the base of your house. Make sure to spray around doors and windows really well! It's mostly a mosquito repellent, but we've also noticed it keeps the spiders away, too!

A good homemade mosquito repellent for your skin is 1 part vinegar to 1 part mineral oil or baby oil. Spray it on before you head outside!

Most women know vinegar will not only remove chemicals left behind after shampooing, but it also helps condition your hair. My mom always used a vinegar rinse on my very long hair as a child to condition and detangle. That's something I still do as an adult, but now I also use vinegar on the dog, too. It conditions his coat while also helping to work as a natural insect repellent. It's also better than harsh dog conditioners that irritate his sensitive skin.

Ok I totally didn't mean to turn this into a 1000 uses of vinegar post. I'll save the rest for another day!

No comments: