Trying A Dictation Program

I decided to review another product for you today. The product I'm reviewing is a little different than the ones on normally review will. That's because I'm not actually writing this post. I'm dictating it. My aunt has been looking for a new dictation program, and she finally decided to purchase one, but she doesn't know how to use it. She gave me the program last night, so that I could learn it and teach it to her. We all know dictation programs aren't perfect. First of all you have to train them, but even still they can't recognize every word perfectly. The program I'm using right now is called Dragon NaturallySpeaking by Nuance.

The creators claim the program is 99% accurate, and that it will make her typing over 200 times faster. This is the first time I'm using a program to do an actual blog post, but it has taken me over 30 minutes just to dictate this paragraph. I know I have an accident, a Southern one, but the program learns to recognize your speech pattern. You were supposed to be able to talk in a normal voice at a normal speed, but I find myself sitting here speaking very slowly to study program can understand. In my opinion, I have actually wasted 30 minutes instead of saving it by using a dictation program. I could have typed this blog post, much faster than the program has allowed me to dictate it.

I will give you an update on how the program works after I've spent more time training it and fiddling with the functions. Overall, I do like the features this program offers, and it is much better than all the other dictation programs I have used. Still, I guess I'm just old-fashioned and prefer typing as I go. Instead of having to correct the mistakes of a program that is supposed to do the work for me. If you notice mistakes in this post, they are typos that I overlooked while editing. I realize it is much harder to edit something as I speak. It is to edit as I type.

One last thing before I go. I want to show you what the program would type if I were speaking at a normal pace.
I will say, "I am using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Look at how the program works for me. Would you use it for your own message?"
Here is my dictation. "I am use Dragon NaturallySpeaking look at how she program works and a big picture. I message."

As you can see, the dictation isn't perfect, but with some training I might be able to tweak it

I'm not sure I will use this program began in the future for any other blog posts, but it was fine to give it a try. Would you use a dictation program to write your blogs? I do think it is a neat idea.

No comments: