Finding A Pet For A Child

My best friend has been thinking about getting a dog for her son, and she came to me for advice. She knows I love dogs, and she thought I would be good at helping her pick one out for her son. He's 4, so she decided she wanted something that wasn't going to be really hyper around him, and she doesn't want something that's so big it's going to knock him down. I admitted that I don't always agree that big dogs shouldn't be around small children. It really does depend on the nature of the dog as to how they will react, but in the end it will of course be her final decision.

I would like to see him get a bulldog. My friend grew up with boxers and bull mastiffs, so she knows how hyper mastiff breeds can be, but she's never had much experience with bulldogs. She's been around my Olde English Bulldogge, Bubba, quite a few times, but he's still a hyper puppy. I suggested if she were interested in a bulldog that she should look for an older one that's past puppy hyperness and already has experience with children.

I grew up with a Basset Hound named Dutchess Katarina and a Mastiff mix named Bogie. We had those dogs when I was about 3-4 years old, but I can still remember them. Actually I've noticed through the years that when I think about our family pets, I tend to think about those two more than any of the other dogs we had when I was growing up. I think it was because at such a young age I bonded with them on a different level. I think it's a good idea for my friend to get a pet for her son, but I told her not to rush into it. I'll help her do some research, and we'll find the dog that's right for them.

I know quite a few of my readers as well as fellow bloggers are also big pet lovers. If any of you have any information you could share, especially those of you with dogs and small children in the same household, I would love your input. Because I don't have children yet, that's one area I don't know much about. I'm just relying on common sense here.

No comments: