Video Conferencing Thoughts

Once a month my old college roommates and I get together for a "catch-up" meeting. We lived in a campus apartment that housed 8, so there are a lot of us to keep up with. We have always tried to put together lunch meetings, but recently that has become a hard thing to do with 3 of them moving away from the area. We all have families and busy lives now, so it's getting harder to get together on a regular basis. We knew we were going to either have to find another way to get together, or stop meeting once a month all together. We decided last month to try video conference meetings. Most of us have personal webcams, and one of the girls works in an industry that requires video conferencing, so it fits into all of our lifestyles without having to try to plan a trip back home.

Our first video conference went pretty well, but we had issues with the free video host we tried to use. After the meeting was over, I promised to try to find a better service to use. We of course all thought about using Teamspeak. My hubby and I both use it for gaming, but that would require for everyone to download software, then one of us would have to host the client (probably me) on their computer. None of us have the bandwidth to support that right now, and there is no video.

After doing some research, I think I have decided to try MegaMeeting. First of all there is no software to install. Everything is web-base. The personal package would be great for us. The package would cost us $49 a month to host up to 10 people, and since we only need 8, that's perfect! We all agreed $6 a month to get together is much better than the gas spent on driving somewhere to meet up, the cost of lunch, and the cost of flying in for some of the other girls. Using MegaMeeting also solves another problem we have. One of the girls using a Mac, but most of us have a PC. Most of the other Video Conferencing things we've tried don't support to the use of a Mac, but MegaMeeting supports, PC, Mac, and Linux. After participating in the live demo, I think I'm sold. My hubby is also thinking about switching from Teamspeak to MegaMeeting for meeting with his Battlefield 2 clan. The costs of a professional conferencing package for 25 people at $225 a month is 50% cheaper than what they're paying now to host Teamspeak for 15-20 people without the video capabilities.

I would love to hear from others who use web conferencing software, and can give me some pros and cons of MegaMeeting if you have dealt with them. To me it looks like a great service that I will be very happy using!


No comments: