Preemie Diapers: Pampers Swaddlers Vs. Huggies Little Snugglers

Who knew it was going to be so hard to figure out what kind of diapers we want to use?  Of course I would prefer to use cloth diapers, but with a preemie it’s just not going to happen right now.  I had planned to use disposables until she grew out of the newborn size anyway, but with a preemie I’d basically have to cut down and sew my own little diapers to fit her.  Yeah that isn't happening right now.

Anywho, we’re very thankful that a ton of family members and friends ran out when she was born and stocked up on preemie diapers for us knowing that newborn diapers would be way too big for her.  We received a ton of Pampers Swaddlers and a few packs of Huggies Little Snugglers.  Both diapers are for preemies up to 6lbs, but unfortunately weighing in at 4lbs 5oz both types of diapers swallow her whole.  Pampers does make an xs size of Swaddlers specifically for babies 1-5lbs, but the nearest store that carries them is still almost an hour away.  I could have ordered them online, but none of us had our laptops at the hospital and by the time they would have shipped to us she was already grown out of them.

Through trial and error we figured out how to make the Pampers work without leaking all over the place, but the Huggies were benched until she gained more weight.  I was hoping to be able to use the Huggies once she hit 5lbs because I love that they have the wetness indicator strip.  The Pampers have the strip on the newborn diapers but not the preemie version. 

Now that she’s weighing in at 5lbs 3oz I figured I’d give the Huggies another try because I’m running low on Pampers.  Plus the Huggies say they’re for “up to 6lbs”, so I didn’t want her growing out of them before we could use them.  I don’t think I’ll have to worry about that because the Huggies are still huge on her, and I don’t see how they’ll ever give her a no leak fit before she reaches 6lbs.  Even the Pampers newborn size fits better than the Huggies, so it looks like the Huggies have become our emergency only diapers until I can get to the store to exchange the unopened packs.  We definitely recommend the Pampers Swaddlers preemie diapers over the Huggies Little Snugglers.

No comments: